Skip to main content

Israeli air raids kill two Palestinian teens in Gaza

Aljazeera

Hamas says it launched rockets and mortars in response to Israeli wave of strikes, which also wounded 14 Palestinians.


At least two teenagers in the Gaza Strip have been killed by Israeli air raids, according toPalestinian health officials, as Israel carried out the largest daylight attack on the besieged enclave since the 2014 war.

Amir al-Nimri, 15, and Luay Kaheel, 16, died of their wounds on Saturday shortly after an air strike targeted al-Kutaiba, an area in western Gaza, the health ministry said.

Twelve others were wounded.

The al-Kutaiba square is adjacent to a park frequently visited by families over the weekend, especially during the summer months, witnesses told Al Jazeera. 

"That's why so many civilians have been hurt in the latest strike," Maram Humaid, a journalist in the Strip, said. 

In a Twitter post, the Israeli military confirmed it targeted a "high-rise building" and said it had "warned" residents to evacuate prior to the attack.

Witnesses told Al Jazeera that the two teenagers who lost their lives were playing on the roof of the semi-abandoned building and described a scene where "there was glass everywhere".

Two other people were wounded in earlier Israeli air raids, according to health officials in Gaza, raising the total figure of those hurt to 14.

Earlier in the day, it said it attacked several Hamas positions in the Gaza Strip, as dozens rockets and mortars were fired towards Israel from the besieged enclave. 

"The Israeli army says over 90 mortars and rockets have been fired over the last 24 hours, most of them causing no damage. Some rockets hit a synagogue, also a car and we understand four Israelis were lightly injured," said Al Jazeera's Stefanie Dekker, reporting from Jerusalem.




"This does show you how severe this escalation has been, certainly the most severe since 2014."

The exchange came hours after the Israeli army killed two Palestinians, including a teenage boy, and wounded hundreds at protests along the fence with Israel on Friday.

The Israeli army said its fighter jets targeted "complexes used to prepare arson terror attacks and a Hamas terror training facility". It also said it struck two Hamas tunnels, one in southern Gaza and one in the north, as well as other infrastructure across the besieged coastal territory.

Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said the group was responsible for the mortar fire on Israel and that they were carried out "in response to the Israeli air strikes".

"The protection and the defence of our people is a national duty and a strategic choice," Barhoum said.

Incendiary kites from Gaza that have burned large tracts of farmland in Israeli border areas have increased public pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for a stronger armed response.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Inequality

Equality is the main thing which remains a person is equal to the other person. without it, the society and community are not run a long time. When you are trying to ensure justice in society and the entire nation you would see the one eye to every one of them and the system would be one for the rich and poor also. the education of daughter is that much important which we focus on son education.  Today we are talking the inequality in genders and we will find is that equality of both the genders ????  In politics, the political theory of equality is more strong. where political parties are given equal status to both male and female members but unfortunately there is a huge gape for both status you can imagine that through seeing the number of women representatives in the national assembly. 51% of population women in Pakistan and the representatives of women's in the national assembly is only 70 seats out of 342 in the national assembly and the men repr...

China finds no radiation issues after North Korea bomb test

A North Korean state handout shows Kim Jong-un in a test facility China has concluded that radiation levels remain normal in the provinces near the North Korean border after the reclusive state conducted a powerful nuclear test last week, sparking concerns of residual environmental damage. China's Ministry of Environmental Protection announced last night it was ending its emergency radiation monitoring in response to the blast last week, which North Korea claimed was the successful detonation of a hydrogen bomb. "A comprehensive assessment has concluded that this DPRK nuclear test has caused no environmental impact on China," the ministry said in a statement posted on its website, using the initials of the North's official name. "After eight days of continuous monitoring, no abnormal results were shown." More than 1,000 aerosol, air, iodine, water and sediment samples were taken at monitoring stations in northeast Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaon...

Tomato fight! Valencia celebrates annual festival